Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Another money problem! **general public**


Three people were on a business trip and had to stay in a hotel over night. The price of the room was $30.00, so the group decided to split one room, three ways. Each one paid $10.00. Well after they paid, the manager realized that he/she overcharged them on their room. The room only cost $25.00, so he/she gave the bellperson five loonies to give to the three people. On his/her way up to the room the bellperson was trying to think of a way to split $5.00 three ways. After thinking about it awhile, he/she decided to keep $2.00 for himself/herself and give each person a loonie back. Now, if each person (who paid $10) gets $1 back that means they each paid $9.00 ($10 - $1 = $9 ). $9.00 multiplied by 3 (because there are three people) equals $27.00 plus the $2.00 the bellperson kept equals $29.00! What happened to the missing dollar!? What is the flaw?

I changed the original problem to a canadian non-gender specific problem :)

6 comments:

Auntie Lisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Auntie Lisa said...

oops I should have read the introduction, well I hope no one read my answer.

Auntie Lisa said...

so how do I email my answer to Brad? Or is that another puzzle he he?

Brad said...

just send it to bradaune@gmail.com

Brad said...

Solved by Luke and his Auntie Lisa on March 14th.

lynnfield said...

Very strange thing about the internet - I first heard this riddle about 30 years ago - and in the last few weeks I've now run across it in 3 different places on the web.